Let’s switch of the lights, at least the unnecessary ones, for a just cause and a hope that this would go a long way in creating many more brighter days in future. There is nothing wrong in trying, isn’t it? 🙂
27th March, 2010 is a rather unusual day. On this day, the world celebrates “The Earth Hour Day”. Earth Hour started in 2007 in Sydney, Australia when 2.2 million homes and businesses turned their lights off for one hour to make their stand against climate change. Earth Hour takes place at 8.30pm (local time) and is a global wake up call for every individual, business, fraternity and every community throughout the world to commit to reduction of carbon footprints in day-to-day activities.
Landmark architectures, business complexes and residential areas from Europe to Asia to the Americas will stand in darkness. People across the world from all walks of life will turn off their lights and join together in celebration and contemplation of the one thing all of us have in common – our planet.
In 2009, nearly 1 billion people in 4,100 cities in 87 countries on seven continents turned out their lights for Earth Hour.
Don’t know what to do during this one hour!!
10 ways to kill time during Earth Hour 2010 –
1) Capture Earth Hour activities in photos and videos
2) Organize outdoor evening party with dear one using flashlights or candles, eat, chat and laugh; also talk about ways to reduce energy use.
3) Make lifetime pledge for the planet to lower your overall impact on the environment – Recycle, use public transport, unplug electronics when not in use.
4) Turn off the laptops, cell phones, ipods and just have an hour of steady time with your family.
5) Grab a flashlight and start walking down your house street an opportunity always missed due to work, watching television or browsing net. Would suffice as a one hour work out..
6) This one is my favorites – engage yourself in some stargazing, memories of good old childhood days haunting!! ctahc up with old stars and constellation you don’t have time for anymore – big dipper, orion and others!!
7) Hunt for recyclables. Get your flashlights and find cans, bottles and boxes that can be reused to reduce items that end up in landfills.
For long we have taken for granted the ownership of the planet we are living in, this is an opportunity to stand together for EARTH’s survival, OUR survivial !!
Let’s Build a Smart Planet..
I love this tag line of IBM. They come out with very unique taglines each time. This one throws a light on the importance of having a cleaner, greener and a technically smarter world around us. Even as I write this people are getting diagnosed by swine flu all over the world. No people, don’t worry this is not just another write up on the do’s and don’t’s of the disease. I am sure by now everyone knows about them and being extra careful.
What scares me the most though is where our planet earth is headed to?? The beautiful globe of the Universe with green and blue colors on it representing LIFE…Is this the end?? Epidemics, earthquakes, droughts, floods, with so much of imbalance being created on this Green Planet..I wonder and ask myself the deadly question….ARE WE HEADING FOR THE DOOMSDAY ??
And to add to all of this, there is this excellently picturized movie coming out 2012. (Atleast, liked the promos!!) It has the images of entire cities being washed away by gigantic waves of ocean.
Every day there is news of some natural imbalance and environmental issue. A drought and shortage of rainfall, an earthquake or tsunami, last week’s news of melting glaciers in Himalayas, epidemics like Swine flu which are nothing but nature’s way of hitting back at us with the imbalance in lifecycle created by us.
What one might ask now is..Is it too late?? Well, who knows?? But that doesn’t mean that we stop trying saving our planet. A few days back, I really felt like giving standing ovation to a lady while travelling in the train, who was asking a fellow passenger not to throw polythene in the river outside, while the train was passing over it. She went on to explain what will happen when everyone throws one, expecting it to be just normal. We need more people like this, don’t we? Or may be.. we can become One!!