Let’s switch of the lights, at least the unnecessary ones, for a just cause and a hope that this would go a long way in creating many more brighter days in future. There is nothing wrong in trying, isn’t it? 🙂
27th March, 2010 is a rather unusual day. On this day, the world celebrates “The Earth Hour Day”. Earth Hour started in 2007 in Sydney, Australia when 2.2 million homes and businesses turned their lights off for one hour to make their stand against climate change. Earth Hour takes place at 8.30pm (local time) and is a global wake up call for every individual, business, fraternity and every community throughout the world to commit to reduction of carbon footprints in day-to-day activities.
Landmark architectures, business complexes and residential areas from Europe to Asia to the Americas will stand in darkness. People across the world from all walks of life will turn off their lights and join together in celebration and contemplation of the one thing all of us have in common – our planet.
In 2009, nearly 1 billion people in 4,100 cities in 87 countries on seven continents turned out their lights for Earth Hour.
Don’t know what to do during this one hour!!
10 ways to kill time during Earth Hour 2010 –
1) Capture Earth Hour activities in photos and videos
2) Organize outdoor evening party with dear one using flashlights or candles, eat, chat and laugh; also talk about ways to reduce energy use.
3) Make lifetime pledge for the planet to lower your overall impact on the environment – Recycle, use public transport, unplug electronics when not in use.
4) Turn off the laptops, cell phones, ipods and just have an hour of steady time with your family.
5) Grab a flashlight and start walking down your house street an opportunity always missed due to work, watching television or browsing net. Would suffice as a one hour work out..
6) This one is my favorites – engage yourself in some stargazing, memories of good old childhood days haunting!! ctahc up with old stars and constellation you don’t have time for anymore – big dipper, orion and others!!
7) Hunt for recyclables. Get your flashlights and find cans, bottles and boxes that can be reused to reduce items that end up in landfills.
For long we have taken for granted the ownership of the planet we are living in, this is an opportunity to stand together for EARTH’s survival, OUR survivial !!